Program Excellence Award
NASTAD recognizes program excellence by honoring the NASTAD member, staff or group that has led the implementation or management of an exemplary and innovative program, initiative or practice to reduce HIV or viral hepatitis or provide services to those living with the diseases.
Previous Award Winners
- Richard Aleshire, Lori Delaney, and Jessica Peterson (WA) for outstanding and innovative work to establish and maintain the first state sponsored pre-exposure prophylaxis Drug Assistance Program (PrEP DAP) in the United States.
- DeAnn Gruber (LA) in recognition of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals’ outstanding and innovative work to elevate, examine, and counter the effects of institutional racism in public health practice in Louisiana.
- John Sapero (AZ) for outstanding and innovative work to reduce stigma and address the “Bar Before the Bars” through the “It’s Only Dangerous if you Don’t Know” media campaign in Arizona.
- 2015: Shanell McGoy (TN) for outstanding leadership to address the HIV epidemic among Black Gay Men.
- 2014: Randy Mayer (IA) for program leadership to change HIV criminalization laws in Iowa.
- 2012: The Virginia AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) in recognition of the strong response it demonstrated in 2012 to the ADAP crisis.
- 2011: Michael Montgomery and Lanny Cross for spearheading the development of the ADAP Crisis Task Force in 2002.