CBO Informational Visits
Overview of CBO Informational Visit
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention awarded NASTAD with funding to conduct Capacity Building Assistance (CBA) to help strengthen the nation’s HIV prevention workforce. NASTAD, along with two other partners (AIDS United, and Southern AIDS Coalition) will be traveling to community-based organizations (CBOs) across the southern United States to conduct mini workshops on selected topics that will help organizations strengthen their capacity and improve their performance.
These 4-hour long sessions will serve to foster greater relationships amongst community agencies and assist eligible CBOs in requesting further CBA and Technical Assistance. More information on CBO eligibility can be found in the FAQ below.
Here are the states considered to be part of the southern region: Alabama, Arkansas, Baltimore, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Agenda: 12:00pm – 4:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Cost
How much will this visit cost my CBO?
This informational visit will be at no cost to the organization. NASTAD will be supporting this informational-visit to help staff understand what NASTAD does and how NASTAD can be of service to your needs.
Will I have to incur any personal costs?
Outside of any personal travel to and from the informational visit, there will no personal cost incurred for the duration of the visit for any participant.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Logistics & Timing
When will the visit take place?
10 visits will take place between September and November 2023, and another 10 will take place between January and March 2024. A member of the NASTAD team will coordinate with your CBO to determine a date for the visit.
How many staff can attend from my organization?
Ideally the entire prevention/program staff (i.e., any staffers who may benefit from NASTAD’s Capacity Building Assistance). There is no firm number or ceiling.
What is the format of the informational visit?
The informational visit will be a blended format. This means it will include presentation, group discussions, and activities.
Will we have some time to network with folks?
Yes. NASTAD has specifically built in time in the agenda at the beginning, in the middle, and near the end to network and collaborate with each other.
Will I have to travel to get to the training?
No. NASTAD will come to your office/location to conduct the informational visit.
What staff is recommended to attend?
We encourage non-decision-making staff from HIV prevention and care programs to attend.
How do I communicate this with my staff?
Please refer your staff to the CBO Informational Visits webpage. This will help them better understand and prepare for the visit.
How do I know if my organization qualifies for a visit?
- CBOs within the southern United States who are funded under CDC’s PS21-2102 or PS22-2203 grants are eligible for a CBO visit by NASTAD and its partners. If you are unsure, click this link to find out: PS21-2102 CBOs, and PS22-2203 CBOs.
- If your organization, is not eligible for a visit, you may still be eligible to request TA and CBA directly through your jurisdiction
- If your organization has already received a CBO Informational Visit from NASTAD and its partners, you are not eligible for another informational visit since these sessions are only meant as a preview. Please contact Elana Ross at eross@NASTAD.org if you’d like to put in a request for a full-length workshop.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Meals & Incidentals
Will meals be provided during this informational visit?
NASTAD will provide lunch at the beginning of the informational visit.
CBO Informational Visit Facilitators
- Gerald Campos, Manager, Prevention, NASTAD
- Nicole Elinoff, Senior Manager, Prevention, NASTAD
- Mardrequs Harris, Deputy Director, Southern AIDS Coalition
- Jacobi Hunter-Wright, Senior Program Manager, AIDS United
- Justin Lofton, Training Manager, Southern AIDS Coalition
- Elana Ross, Senior Associate, Prevention, NASTAD